Silca immersive Tub – 360ml $115.95
Silca Drip $54.95
Bundle price $159.99
Variation – add gear wipes for $59.95 (rrp $64.95) – Apologies cannot ship Gear Wipes internationally!
**NOTE – ZFC has silca bundle packs so if looking for built in discount for buying multiple products, head to the bundles section of online store**
As just updated for the super secret drip lube which is part way through ZFC’s worlds most exhaustive testing, Super Secret Drip lube is the only wax emulsion lube tested to date that has near zero initial penetration issues, to date all other wax emulsion lubes tested have had significant initial penetration issues which greatly increases the difficulty of application post initial prep clean or good periodic maintenance clean (heating chain, heating lube etc to partially negate issue). It is why you see lubricants such as absoluteBlack graphene requiring first application to be immersive.
So with no penetration issues, why an immersive tub?
The biggest questions I get between wax drip lubes and immersive waxing is what is the difference? Why should I wax vs dripping on a top wax emulsion lube when their efficiency results in the lab are often so close?
The answer is, we do not ride in a lab. Whilst top wax emulsion drip lubes tested to date that set to a solid / semi solid chain coating which is highly resistant to dry contamination, your chain is operating externally and so contamination is simply inevitable. Especially if riding gravel / mtb / cx.
Also, if you do a wet ride, your front wheel hoses chain with gritty water from road / trail. Your chain isn’t water tight, so water brings this contamination deep inside chain where it is pressed into set lube by pedalling load, so not matter what lube / wax you run, one should always clean to re-set contamination post wet ride (for immersive waxing this is easily done just by boiling kettle and swishing in boiling water to melt contaminated wax off chain). For drip lubes this generally means a full solvent clean to reset (and then in the case of all other wax emulsion lubes bar silca, quite some work on initial re-application to properly clean chain).
Anyhoo – assuming just doing what most do when on drip lubes and that is simply re-lube, for a wax emulsion lubricant a 5ml application is pretty heavy application. Spread across the typical chain lengths of 106 to 114 links this is less than 0.05ml per link. Over half of drip lubes is carrier, so less than 0.025ml of actual lubricant per link is being put over the top of existing contaminated lubricant.
This will improve the ratio of lubricant to contamination temporarily, but by the end of that treatment lifespan, there is now of course more contamination that has made its way in from use, and so over time this ratio continuously degrades. No lubricants do not clean as they lube (despite almost all drip lubes claiming they do) – they just improve ratio of lubricant to contamination.
Poor / average lubes this ratio becomes really bad really quickly . For the very best drip lubricants (such as those that make the selection at ZFC 😉), you have a pretty good stretch before a proper maintenance clean is needed (unless wet rides of course in which case again, it is recommended to always reset contamination).
Immersive waxing (mspeedwax / silca hot melt) has a huge advantage over drip lubes in that each re-lube one is submerging their chain in typically 400 to 500ml of 100% lubricant. The old wax with any embedded contamination melts off and goes into wax in pot, and all parts of chain are re-coated in a solid super slippery wax. Over time of course the wax in pot will become less amazing as contamination is imported each re-wax, but one can do the math on how long it would take to contaminate 400ml+ of wax vs adding 0.025ml per link with drip lubes. Advantage immersive waxing indeed.
So, the immersive tub by silca enables you to either periodically immersively apply the lubricant sans needing a slow cooker and going the hot melt path, or if one desires – immersive application every re-lube. It is also a great travel option for those who would normally wax and want to keep an immersive lubricant application going but packing the slow cooker is impractical.
There will be a couple of main use methods depending on need / budget.
- Periodic immersion – in which case to keep the lubricant in tub in mint condition and minimise contamination being imported into tub of lube, chain should be properly cleaned with a couple rounds of boiling water, dry, mineral turps until turps comes out clear, dry, methylated spirits, dry – immerse.
- For those who are bike packing / stage racing and cant pack the slow cooker and are willing to pop the chain in post each days ride / days race for the highest level re-lube possible short of immersive hot melt waxing.
**Post immersive application (screw lid on tight and shake vigorously), after you have fished chain out, with a microfibre cloth it is important to THOROUGHLY wipe all excess lube from outside of chain. Lubricant is needed inside, outside just gunks up / will attract more contamination. Allow overnight set if possible.
See below for general product information regarding silca super secret drip lube.
SILCA Super Secret Chain Lube brings all of the super speed and silent running of a hot-melt wax-dipped chain to a drip applied wax. Secret Chain lube also utilizes the world’s fastest, most lubricious additive, nano-scale Tungsten Di-Sulfide.
SILCA Super Secret Chain lube started out as a project to develop the fastest Hot-Melt wax lubricant available more than a year ago. Josh has been recommending Hot Melt Wax and helping Pro cyclists and triathletes wax chains for years and wanted to bring his lubricant formula to our customers. The project took a fascinating turn from the world of IndyCar when josh was introduced to a group that had developed a technology to put micro-scale wax powders into a solution that was quick drying and forms a coating that is indiscernible from hot melt dipping. The combination of air-drying liquid wax and Tungsten Disulfide would quickly prove to beat all currently available hot melt waxes in friction testing while being much faster and easier to apply.
(*Note from ZFC – awaiting data re the above claims – the above claims are not yet established as fact or agreed up by the likes of Ceramic Speed / Mspeedwax / absoluteBlack – which one is the outright fastest lubricant remains to be empirically proven, however – with any of the those lubes, you are at least guaranteed to be at the extreme pointy end of the low friction scale).
Best of all perhaps is that this formula would prove to be very environmentally friendly, utilizing 4 different types of wax, nano platelets of WS2 (Tungsten Disulfide), and mild alcohol to act as a carrier. This same alcohol is used in the SILCA Gear Wipes, making them a perfect product to clean and remove Secret Chain Lube.
- 4oz. / 118ml bottle with precision applicator tip.
- The chain MUST be perfectly prepped back to clean, clear chain metal with no degreaser film etc left behind for wax to fight through to bond to chain metal. Refer to cleaning instructions in Wax Zen Master guide on Zero Friction Cycling website.
- Another option is to have a chain pre-prepped with Mspeedwax and then add this lubricant over top after 200 to 300km.
- A better initial application will be attained via an initial immersive application, all wax emulsion lubes tested to date have some level of initial penetration issues. If you cannot apply immersive or over top of mspeedwax or silca hot melt wax coating, then recommend following the advanced application guide for SMOOVE on Zero Friction Cycling website, or at minimum follow all the tips in Josh’s launch video’s (it is easier to follow the instructions on wax zen master guide but the video’s may assist if you have never removed a chain before)
- ZERO FRICTION CYCLING DOES NOT ENDORSE ANY ON BIKE CHAIN CLEANING METHOD AS SUFFICIENT PREP FOR ANY OF THE TOP LUBRICANTS THAT NEED TO BOND TO CLEAN CLEAR CHAIN METAL.
- If you have seen other videos for other manufacturers whose lubricants really need clean clear chain metal but they have cleaning video showing you can spray X cleaner on chain whilst its on the bike and then washing off and drying, that is the companies marketing department getting involved and being too scared to show that you REALLY SHOULD REMOVE CHAIN FOR PROPER CLEANING PREP.
- Apply according to video and let dry for at least 30 Minutes!
- SILCA recommend using after your ride so it’s ready for next time!
Zero Friction Cycling will be control testing this lubricant as soon as possible, however after lengthy email discussions with Josh Poertner and the length of time it will take to get to fully testing, ZFC is confident to stock this product at this time based on information provided. This will be reviewed if there are any surprises from customer feedback or during testing when that commences, otherwise at this time ZFC believes this lubricant should be the perfect accompaniment to mspeedwaxers on cycling trips etc, or for those who cannot wax for some reason.