Tru-Tension Tungsten Race Lube is one of new generation of chain coatings – sets to a solid chain coating like UFO Drip.
At time of release – product is part way through ZFC torture test, however initial results are exceptionally good.
Very thin viscosity when lube is above 20 dg Celsius, zero penetration issues and sets to a true solid chain coating.
This is a race day application lubricant – stated lifespan is 150km per application, and so is best used on dedicated race chain or to complement your Mspeedwax chain if you find you cannot re-wax (cycling holiday, interstate stage race etc).
Tru-Tension Tungsten Race remains EXCEPTIONALLY clean and so it can be used as an everyday lubricant if budge is not an issue, just note you will only get around 5 to 6 applications per bottle, and the short application lifespan per treatment.
It is similar to UFO Drip in many aspects (Solid chain coating, proven very low friction modifier, exceptional cleanliness, exceptional low wear rates, short treatment lifespan) however it does have a couple of differences that make application easier.
1) Whist it viscosity is still temperature sensitive, it is not as badly affected as UFO Drip. You will need lubricant to be above at least 20dg Celsius vs around 25dg for UFO Drip. This 5dg difference does mean that for most indoor stored bikes ambient temp in winter inside house is sufficient without needing to warm lube & chain.
2) It is not classed as dangerous goods for flying so you can pack in your bike case for interstate / overseas trips.
Note approx. 5 to 6 applications only per bottle.
Notes from the Manufacturer
Race Lube infiltrates all moving components of the chain before setting to create an immensely hard lubricating layer which will not attract dirt and cannot be washed off from water during rides.
Tungsten Disulphide was originally developed for space projects as a lubricant due to it having a lower coefficient of friction compared with Ceramics, Teflon and Graphite, as well as being more durable. Tungsten smooths out the surface of the metal to minimise surface imperfections, resulting in up to 40% less friction than Ceramics, up to 50% less than Teflon, and up to 60% less than Graphite. Not only is it faster, but it’s also more durable, creating an atomic layer on the surface of the chain to reduce wear of the drivetrain and protect moving components.
After the first couple of applications the Tungsten smooths out the small imperfections in the metal surfaces of the chain, creating a rock hard protective, slippery layer. This layer is created on pressure points within the drivetrain, only layering one atom thick to apply superior lubrication exactly where it’s needed.
Application instructions **Please Read**
Shake bottle well before application
As always – Apply to either a properly cleaned chain – Refer to chain cleaning instructions in Wax Zen Master Guide – Instructions tab on ZFC website.
Better still is to apply to an Ultrasonic Cleaned and Mspeedwax prepped chain from ZFC – this ensures all solvents used to clean factory grease are 100% recycled (if cleaning at home pls ensure dispose of solvents responsibly).
DO NOT APPLY DIRECTLY OVER FACTORY GREASE OR EXISTING DRIP LUBE (*exceptions – it may be applied directly over Mspeedwax, UFO Drip or Tru-Tension Tungsten All Weather lube).
- Best results occur when ensure chain and lubricant are both at 20 degree’s Celsius or above.
- Ensure chain is on small chain ring and smallest cog (or smallest cog you electronic system allows) for maximum link articulation.
- Drizzle lube over chain where it sits on cassette as you back pedal chain. Drizzle over for two full revolutions of chain.
- Back pedal 20 times to fully work lubricant into chain.
- Back pedal a further approx. 10 times thoroughly wiping all excess of outside of chain with microfiber cloth. Remember you need lubricant INSIDE chain, not outside.
**Allow at least 6 hours set time – preferably 8 hours – best is just to apply the night before ride**
Following the above steps for each re-lube to retain an exceptionally clean, exceptionally low wear and low friction race chain.
Treatment lifespan is rated for approx. 150km in Dry road conditions. Up to approx. 3 hours for normal gravel conditions, 2 hours for MTB races (perfect for XC, Gravity Enduro, refer Tungsten all weather for XC Marathon for events up to 4hrs). 1.5 hours for CX racing. Halve these times if wet.
**If lubricant is below approx. 20dg Celsius heat bottle of lube in a cup of hot TAP water for 1 min, shake well, apply as per above.**
**If not waxing and so not used to popping chain on and off bike, clean chain post any wet ride using UFO Clean spray for the best on bike clean, dry chain and re-lube*